Friday, January 20, 2012

Word Paths • A Conversation with my Son


_____________________________


Everyone has a word path. One word leads to another.
Velásquez©2011
Word Paths, a Friday feature showcasing possibilities in written words, creative process and artistic pieces. 
My goal is to present three to five words or three to five lines. 
I may go to seven words or seven lines but probably not often, only if needed. 
I plan to work the Word Paths out artistically and process them to share with you here. 
You can go here, to my first post on this project and see how it all started.
________________________________


There we were having our morning conversation today as usual, during breakfast making, lunch packing and news listening when a Word Path emerged. My son and I were talking about homework. He thought I was so lucky that I could make art to fulfill my e-course assignments. He has been a witness to all my e-course work lately. In some classes, assignments have been to produce artwork and in others, art was used as an alternate vehicle of expression for written work. We stumbled into a conversation about weakness. The phrase, "What are your weaknesses?", you know the one! The one we hear either at job interviews, in some life coaching class or in your head when soul searching. I am not a fan of this word nor a fan when asked the question. I explained to my son that a weakness is more of a challenge. The word "weakness" comes across as if you are less than in some way. 
So I said he should look at something he is not good at as something he can overcome or improve upon. "Oh, of course mom, there are no weaknesses, only opportunities for strength". I love him! 
He so gets it.

We can all have opportunities in failure, in disappointment, and in fear. 
So then, all we face is opportunity in life! How great is that!
Thank you for stopping by.

Here is My Word Path for Today


Happy Weekend • Find Opportunity • Enjoy the Language of Words

All images and content belong to Deborah Velásquez. Copyright 2005-2012.  All rights reserved.
Please do not use anything without permission or without making note of the origin on your blog or website.

9 comments:

  1. LOVE this!!!! And, You have a great kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfect for me this week, deborah - i made a big mistake. it was very stressful, but not too serious. and finally resolved. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear that. Noreen thank you so much for popping in as often as you do, I just love it! I really like your blog, always the teacher. i love teachers!

      Delete
  3. Such a wise child! Bet he gets it from his Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fantastic that he "gets it." You're doing a wonderful job being a mother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deborah, I loved this post. First time I come here and loved it all.
    I came here to congratulate you on being featured at Rachael's blog today. Lovely work there and lots more on the n the flickr group page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post! Very uplifting, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these word paths! Will be looking forward to fridays now :-)
    Happy designing … "see" you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful conversations and the design to the word path is so strong which is cool since the word is weakness

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...