Wednesday, May 2, 2012

May Flower Color Challenge • Abstract Floral





Abstract Floral in gouache by Deborah Velásquez

Abstract Floral for day two of The May Flower Challenge which started Yesterday. Each day you can post your flower creation, whether it is a doodle, drawing, photograph, collage or painting. This challenge has been started by  Lori Moon, fellow blogger, talented photographer and jewelry artisan. Sign up and join in on the flower fun. Can't wait to see what you create as well! Please note: You do NOT have to participate every day. Play along on a specific day each week or only once - whatever inspires you. Join the challenge, here, it is going to be fun. 



As I started to plan for the challenge I decided to look for flower inspiration in my sketchbooks, tear sheet folder as well as my gardening books and mags. I use a lot of flowers in my work so there is inspiration a plenty at my house. I then remembered something I wrote on my blog bio mentioning how I would be finishing work and projects I had started but never got back to. Well I was lucky enough to find this flower drawing in one of my piles and voilá I can fulfill start working on that goal!


I rushed back home this morning after dropping off the kids at school and got to work. I grabbed my trusty gouache and got to work. Here is the progress I made today.



Playing with the color palette. Thinking I should expand on my usual green, blue and black palette style. I gravitate to these colors always and always have. Ummm. Running out of time so I will need to come back to this piece I will post the finished piece when done.

Cropped section of the painting makes for an interesting design. Love it!



Brushes set out to dry. Can't wait to get back to the painting.




Make sure to visit the other artists who are participating in the challenge at Lori Moon's websiteI love challenges like this because it helps build reference material for your body of work, it adds to your sketchbook, portfolio, motif library if you are a Surface pattern designers and so on. Make it work for you.

Thank you for stopping by!


All images and content belong to Deborah Velásquez. Copyright 2005-2012.  All rights reserved.
Please do not use anything without permission or without making note of the origin on your blog or website





4 comments:

  1. Wow - I love your style - simple, clean, elegant and oh-so-pretty! Thanks for visiting -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terrie, this will be a fun challenge, looking forward to everyone's floral expressions!!!

      Delete
  2. Love your colors (as always). So glad that you are participating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. Don't you just love gouache? That used to be my main medium for years.....Love the opacity!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...